Saturday, November 8, 2008

News and Such

It has been another extremely quick and busy week here in Manhappenin'. And, of course, I've got news and such. The much awaited internship poster display has been put up all over Seaton, where students from Landscape, Architecture, and Interiors can show off what they did last semester while playing hookie. Here's my submission:



I decided to do something a little different than a standard poster. It's more like a "map fold" poster, if that makes any sense. I've thought about using this format for mini portfolios to mail out to firms and thought I'd test it out with the internship poster. Here's what it looks like folded up:



Also, in the good news category, I won a few little inner-college competitions in the last week. The first is the t-shirt design for the Landscape Architecture Department. So yay! Free t-shirt!

Second is the metal casting competition for Eligius Bronze located in Kansas City, Missouri. Take a look at their stuff, I'm totally impressed. I especially love the Meadow River Dining Table. Anything minimal makes my heart swoon. I'm currently in the process of making the Trupan prototype for the cast metal pieces. From there, Eligius will take it and create a mold and then use that mold to cast the metal pieces. Then they'll weld and finish it, and I get the finished pieces, which I'll use to measure my wooden table top insert. The most awesome part is that I can at least be present if not participate in the casting process! I'm a geeky shop nerd, so that's like a Christmas present for me.

This weekend is going to be extremely busy. I've got some pretty fun stuff going on with studio, as I'm starting to get down to the tiny details of my coaster. It's still got an insane amount of work to be done on it, but that's how it goes. I'm also hoping to finalize the layout for my book on cute. I guess we'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate! I was in Manhattan this weekend and couldn't get ahold of you! :(

Exclamation Kate said...

Damn! I missed a call, but I figured it was another wrong number. Who is this?

Anonymous said...

you so talented!