Wednesday, October 1, 2008

WorkGroup Desk

So in true Kate fashion, I'm not doing a chair for my shop project. (At least not my main shop project.) If you are not familiar with my work methodology, it's that my first idea is always crap. I know that is not true, but it helps me feel better about switching my project up a month into the school year. The final proposal (a small 8.5 x 11" with images and text) for the project was due today for those that are participating in the cast metal competition. It's not so much a competition as it is bidding to be one of the three students who gets their casting process done absolutely free (which would save me hundreds of dollars).

Steve let me know only after my inquiring into the use of cast metal footings for my chair that this competition was up for grabs. So i figured I would focus on metal as the main component of my design. I went back to some earlier sketches for some inspiration for my new, mostly metal piece, and voila! The WorkGroup Desk!



Click the image to read the description.

It isn't shown in this proposal, but the wood "slots" into the hollow aluminum ends, so there are only three pieces to put together. It'll be nice for me when I move at the end of the year, and it's a good selling point for storage and shipping and such. I've drawn up a bunch of "variants," which I won't be building, but plan to propose to the head of the cast metal manufacturing plant if my piece is chosen.

So let me know what you think! And questions and ideas are definitely welcome.

No comments: