Sunday, May 11, 2008

Whatcha Gonna Do?

Welcome to the new blog! You may be wondering where all the old posts are. I have them. They are all safe and well, located on another blog until I decide what I'm going to do with them.

As some of you may know, I've been fighting a losing battle trying to find a Blogger layout that is both attractive AND easy to use. So last night, while fighting a wicked head cold and being unable to breathe out of both nostrils consecutively, I finally buckled down and made my own. And by made I mean took a normal Blogger template and tinkered with it.

And when I got done doing pretty things with the blog, I thought, "What the heck? I'll just start fresh and new." I would like the blog to stay basically the same, as a log of projects in progress, but I'd also like it to be a repository for design inspiration as well as a place for me to review television shows, movies, music, books, and anything else I deem review-worthy. And some things that are not review-worthy, such as the all-american show, COPS.

I have avoided this show like the plague, seeing it as the tawdry love child of FOX Network and recreational drugs. But recently, after falling asleep to the incredible Ninja Warrior (don't even try to debate me on that) on G4, I've awoken to the drunken shouts and screaming sirens enough times to get a few episodes watched. And what I've found is an endless store of quotes, such as:

Drunk guy giving reasons why he shouldn't be arrested for public drunkenness, "I think I'm sober right... now." "I tripped over a gopher!"
Man after trying to flee by car and on foot, "I give! I give! I gi-" And then being punched in the face.

I've found, though, that I've cultivated preferences for certain types of situations on the show. For example, I'd take Drunk & Disorderly over Domestic Disturbance anytime. Or Hit & Run over Drug Bust. But if that drug bust involves people on drugs doing things that would be difficult to do while on drugs, like climb trees or do handstands, that bumps it way up the list.

I've also come to realize that there are so many things that you can be arrested for. I feel like I could be minding my own business, getting ready for work at 6 in the morning and BAM! Door gets kicked in and I'm picked up for 647d Loitering in Restroom.

Me: I swear, officer, I was just waiting for the curling iron to get hot.
Officer Man: Is that weapon registered?
Me: Uh, no–Ahhh! (MACE TO FACE!)

And that is why I don't allow myself to watch too much violent television.

No comments: