Thursday, October 9, 2008

Recent Developments

There have been a few new developments as far as some of my projects have been concerned, and I'll start with the most exciting first.

My shop professor all but guaranteed that my desk design would be one of the three pieces to "win" the competition, so I've been working on my technical drawings for that. He also let me know that I would pretty much not need to do anything for at least the next month while the metal pieces are being fabricated, so...

I decided to go ahead and build the lounge chair that I wrote a post about a while back. This puts a bit of a strain on me, I understand that, so I have made it clear to Steve that this project may be carried into next semester. But, I went ahead and ordered the wood: 9 board feet of 2" dark walnut. I'm so excited to start work on it and finally get back into the shop! I miss everything about shop: the smell of all the wood, being covered in wood shavings, narrowly escaping death when the jointer decides to act up. Sigh.

Anyway, the lounge, aptly named the So Lo Lounge as the seat sits 6 inches off the floor, is going to look exactly as it does in the picture. No wheels, no brass footings. The only difference is in material choice: walnut and white cotton/nylon strap (as opposed to what I show in the model as beech and dark gray strap). I'm currently finishing up technical drawings, and will print out a full-size side elevation shortly.

The good news ends there, sadly. This last weekend, Kelsey attended a landscape architecture get-together in Pennsylvania, and to her surprise, a Disney Imagineer gave a talk on the future of landscape architecture in theme parks. Long story short, our fantastically one-of-a-kind idea has already been built at Tokyo Disney Sea, so we're going to have to shift our story a bit, or possibly go back to brainstorming phase. It's quite a setback, but I've got some ideas already brewing. I'm confident that I'll have a good idea developed and drawn up for my mid-crit next Friday.

Basically, all the hard work that I'm doing and will be doing over the next few weeks is going towards the ability to take off Halloween and the weekend following it, so I can go home and visit with family. That is my current motivation, so if I'm a hermit during this time, please don't blame me. It's the system.

No comments: