Monday, September 1, 2008

Eureka!

I think I've found my idea for shop. I've been kicking it around since Denmark. It's not completely finished, but here's the "chair" portion of the project:







What I propose is a "hybrid"–a classic Danish lounge chair merged with a striking, modern feature. I want to put two rather large (about 14" diameter) wheels on the back legs of the chair. Then, it becomes easily movable furniture, and you can carry items in the seat portion of the chair, like a wheel barrow. It would be very handy when moving, something I've been doing several times a year for the last 5 years. I know outdoor sun chairs have been designed like this before, so that people can easily move the chair to a sunny spot or to group them together. This would make living room furniture rearranging much easier. It'd actually be very neat to do a couch version of this too, but that's probably longer than a semester project.

I'm still working on the wheels. They won't be the prettiest or most accurately made for this model, but they'll give me an idea of what the final look of the chair will be.

I'm not sure whether I want to do a weave, as it is shown in the model, or if I want to stretch leather or do wood planks with padded cushions. If I get the chance to do two, I may experiment with a couple different options. But that's a question I'll have to bring up with Steve (my shop teacher) on Wednesday.

And now that I've spent the entire weekend doing shop stuff, I think I'm going to take tonight off and see if I can convince the guys to go bowling...

No comments: