Saturday, May 17, 2008

Everything Must Go

I'm reporting from the front lines here on the driveway. We've hit a nice, little lull between the early birds and the scavengers. Most of the big ticket items have sold–my camcorder, old-old digital camera, stereo system, pc monitor. And a lot of things sold that I didn't think would, like my mini Eiffel Tower, my jump rope, and VHS tapes. I can't tell exactly what I made because I brought out my change jar, but I'm holding $113 dollars in cold, hard cash in my back pocket. And it feels good. Really, really good.

My first sale of the day was to a lady looking for DVDs. My mom obliged by going back inside and bringing out ALMOST EVERY MOVIE WE OWN. From that point on, it was like a last chance liquidation sale, where nothing was safe. We don't need this kitchen table, do we? Nah! We've got a cardboard box that'll work. Unless–do you think we could get a reasonable price on the box?

And the annual award of Most Crap Bought goes to a wonderfully polite woman who came yielding a list–yes, a list–of Martha Stewart Living magazines that she does not yet own. Now I hesitate to mention Martha again, bringing her total subject of blog entries to 2, but this is so worth it. Because you know what we were selling? EVERY MARTHA STEWART LIVING MAGAZINE EVER PRINTED. She was positively giddy with excitement as she walked up the drive and saw my sign declaring, "All the Magazines You Can Carry for $1." And she took that to heart. I think she had four years of back issues in her arms as she zigzagged back to her car. I'm just glad I could make someone happy by pawning off my trash.

No comments: