Friday, October 24, 2008

Trillian

I've been trying for a long time to come up with a good Halloween costume, but have pretty much come up short. I've been so used to doing "group costumes" that doing one on my own is difficult. (I will be home and away from my school peeps this year.) Last year, our group was the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol. And the year before, we were Legends of the Hidden Temple contestants. Both very awesome and fairly easy. I've had a couple of ideas, but they involve either (a) a lot of time or (b) a lot of money.

So, I started looking through my movie library for a little brainstorming and came up with this:



Trillian (aka Trisha McMillan) from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. She's the leading actress and Arthur Dent's love interest in the movie. She wears a three-armed shirt because her current beau, an alien named Zephod, has three arms. It's obscure enough that people will have to ask me what I am, but not so obscure that people will have never seen the movie. I am afraid, however, that people will mistake me for Tom Cruise in Risky Business. Or Leann from Project Runway because of the crazy large glasses.

Here are some snapshots from the movie:





I think I'm just the right amount of pale to pull this off, too.

It'd be rather cheap. Two oxford shirts, knee high socks, shorts, and reading glasses. And would only require a small amount of sewing. Plus, there are a few options for accessories: a "Hitchhiker's Guide" book, a towel. And then I have a drink option for the night as well: Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters!

Ideally, I would wear this costume of hers from the movie:



But that is way too intensive and far beyond my sewing capabilities.

Another idea, which would take a bit more time and money, would be a character from Guitar Hero. Both are a bit Comic-Con. Also, Juno, which would just involve a trip to PacSun and strategic pillow placement. If you have any ideas or some opinions, let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, duh...be the big headed silver dude in the first pic! By the way, any thoughts on Halloween night? i've got nothing.

Anonymous said...

That's Marvin the Depressed Robot. And if she can't sew Trillian's blue outfit, what makes you think she can sew a silver robot??!
Thanks for this. I was Trillian for Hallowe'en this year and I didn't sew anything - just bought some stuff from the store, but this helped alot.