Friday, November 21, 2008

Shiny!

I've been dividing my time up pretty evenly between shop, studio, and programming. I turned in my Trupan pieces to be cast yesterday and decided on bronze instead of aluminum, mostly because Rick thought bronze would be better, but also because the pieces will be slightly heavier with a tad more strength. I've talked to Rick a few times about the process, asking if I could be present for the casting. Not only can I be there, but he told me that I can pour the metal!!! My shop geek status just went up about 10 points.

In studio, I've completed my floor plan and am rendering it in Photoshop. And since the odds of my turning this in for the competition are slim, I've decided to reward you with a glimpse at the unrendered plan. Since it's "underground," all walls are concrete and the rockwork walls are shotcrete. The plan's not going to be very informative at this point, without crazy explanation, but my project is based mostly on the story and the products and plan that create that story:

A meteor has entered the earth’s atmosphere and crash landed, creating an enormous crater. However, instead of resting in the center of this giant crater, the meteor has broken through the earth’s surface, revealing a previously undiscovered series of caverns. In order to study the meteor, scientists have set up a laboratory at the site.
You are invited to be a part of this new and exciting expedition.

The WOW factor / twist: The meteor has brought with it microorganisms and small creatures that have begun to call these caverns their home.

The Second WOW factor / twist: The organisms might not be as "micro" as originally thought.




What's left for me is pretty much taking my product sketches (about 8 of them or so), turning them into line drawings in Illustrator and rendering them in Photoshop.

As far as programming goes, the book is on its way. Ideally, I'll be spending all weekend on it and order it before Thanksgiving break. I've been working on my poster for the project and in the process have created a vector image of the VW Bug, which I'm showing here in a multitude of colors:



If you look closely, you can see that the headlights look sort of like eyes and that the center grill looks like a little smiley face. So I was thinking of playing that up a little bit for the poster, but I'm still not sure. It's not due until finals week, so I'm going to worry about it then.

But now it's time to take a break and go see Role Models with my homeboy, Josh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It kinda looks like the VW is sticking its tongue out to me, but still cute. I likey.