Monday, September 22, 2008

The Mystery Box

I forgot my Mac power cord this morning and am forced to use my PC in studio. I got on and opened Firefox to my homepage, this little blog. My good lord, it's ugly on a PC. I don't know what happens in translation, but it's one hideous looking web page. So I apologize to all you PC users. There's not much I can do, however, so you're going to have to live with it.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I've been reading up for my various classes, so I thought I would share a few of my sources with you all, you know, just in case. Most of them, I will pass on, however, because they will be sources for theming, such as my "How Does Earth Work? Physical Geology and the Process of Science" book, which is helping me get around the educational aspects of the ride.

I'm afraid I can't divulge the idea for the project because I am most likely going to enter it into the competition. I'll try and post my most vague renderings and other little tidbits along the way, though. Like this book that is an awesome source of work done by actual imagineers:



"Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance"

There's an amazing photo of the model for Sleeping Beauty's castle in Paris. It must have taken ages to build. This isn't the photo but it's the closest I could find out on the world wide web:



The book also has some interesting sketches and renderings that give me a good idea of the caliber of work that is put out at Disney.

Also as part of my research, I have been listening to short talks given by some very inspiring people at TED. So far, I've been listening to talks that focus on children, learning, creativity, story-telling, and technology. In particular, I'm loving this one given by J.J. Abrams entitled "The Mystery Box." Good stuff.

No comments: