Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 6: Helsinki

I apologize in advance for this day's photos and info. I had a bit too much of an evening on the boat the night before, so I spent much of the day re-hydrating between insanely long walking tours and trying not to walk face-first into vertical surfaces.

We de-boarded the boat after a buffet breakfast, of which I ate watermelon and water, the only two substances that I thought I would not kill me. It was either that or mysteriously bouncy eggs and more Swedish meatballs.

After an hour of walking, we reached Kiasma, the Museum of Modern Art, designed by Steven Holl in 1994. It was a very beautiful museum, full of very interesting exhibits. I managed one sketch, which actually turned out alright, but I didn't take a picture of it, so you'll just have to make do with a photo of me sketching it:





After Kiasma, we walked to Finlandia Hall, designed by beloved Finnish Architect, Alvar Aalto. On the way, we ran into a bit of construction and ended up straddling concrete barriers on the highway. Awesome!



Then we finally got back on the bus and headed to Alvar Aalto's residence and office, located only a few blocks apart. Both were very interesting buildings. It was very neat to see a home so completely designed. Everything in each room had a specific purpose and daily rituals were meticulously planned into each piece of furniture. Not to mention the exteriors of both buildings were beautiful and simple.





By the end of the tour, it was 5:30 and we were free to wonder the city of Helsinki. I tagged along with a small group of people and we were feeling not the least bit like searching out whatever the heck Finnish food was, so we had Thai. And for the second of the two times I've ever eaten Thai, it was the best! I discovered Thai tea, and I loves it!

But having had a long day, I was ready for some sleep on a bed that wasn't swaying, both from the waves and from the wine, so I took a leisurely stroll with Whitney back to our Eurohostel and for the first time in the past week, fell asleep before 9pm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"By the end of the tour, it was 5:30 and we were free to wonder the city of Helsinki." I know you meant "wander", but I got a chuckle out of "wonder" because it probably more accurately describes what you were doing. Glad to see you having such a good time. Pay close attention, because you will quite possibly be my tour guide someday.
Lubboo muchly,
Ma

Anonymous said...

I love Alvar Alto's name. It's pretty much just your mouth wide open "AAAAAAA" the whole time you say it. Such nice alliteration.

april

Exclamation Kate said...

You should hear someone from Finland say it. It's a hoot!